Maintaining your dream home doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By doing these things every month, you minimize the risk of bigger issues coming up later.
- Take a walk. Walk around the outside of your home ancd check for any noticeable problems with the gutters, foundation, drainpipes, or vents. Take the time to give the exterior a good once over every month so that you can catch any potential problems early on.
- Check HVAC filters. While they only need to be replaced every 30-90 days, it’s always wise to check them and make sure they’re in great condition.
- Look for leaks. Anytime you see water in a place it’s not supposed to be, be sure to look closer. Look around toilets and sinks, and touch up any cracks you may see in grout or caulking.
- Test your smoke & carbon monoxide detectors, as well as fire extinguishers. While batteries should only need to be changed every 6 months, you should still conduct a monthly test to make sure everything is working properly.
- Clean the garbage disposal. Grind ice cubes to sharpen the blades, then flush with hot water and baking soda.
While this isn’t an exhaustive list of home maintenance requirements, it’s a great jumping off point for keeping your home in great shape. There are seasonal lists available online, as well, that are definitely worth looking into. If you keep a regular scheduled date to take on these simple tasks, you’ll get to enjoy a safe and beautiful home for years to come.